Sign Up for the Upcoming
Online + Livestream Bundle: $640
2021 Course Dates:
July 19-29, 2021
Mondays & Thursdays | 6:30 PM-10:00 PM Eastern Time
via Zoom Video Conferencing
August 17-20, 2021
Daily | 5:00 PM-8:30 PM Eastern Time
via Zoom Video Conferencing
October 4-25, 2021
Weekly | 6:30 PM-10:00 PM Eastern Time
via Zoom Video Conferencing
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Get Started with the Online Content Portion ONLY ($200):
About the School-based Intensive Course
(Online + Live-streamed Course):
This “hybrid” intensive training course is designed specifically for the school-based practitioner. The course provides an in-depth understanding of the application of sensory processing theory and intervention in schools. Specific focus is given to educationally relevant evaluation, intervention, and collaboration with educators. The clinician will learn to apply clinical reasoning through lectures, discussions, and video treatment analysis. In the course, clinicians will develop an action plan for application implementation to take back to their own practice settings.
- Explain how the three areas of sensory, relationships, and regulation can support students in each of the three tiers of RTI
- Administer a variety of assessment tools to evaluate children with SPD in the school settings
- Utilize a multifaceted approach to sensory processing and integration that includes consultation, accommodations and modifications, and remedial direct support services
- Synthesize information in an OT assessment, write IEP’s, and collaborate effectively with student’s team
- Use clinical reasoning tools for intervention developed by Dr. Lucy Jane Miller and Dr. Sarah A. Schoen
- Observe client session videos, analyze through clinical reasoning, and discuss treatment planning
- Receive group processing/supervision guided by faculty level clinicians from the STAR Institute
Online + Live-streamed Full Program Bundle: $640
19 hours/1.9 AOTA CEUs
Participants are strongly encouraged and expected to complete 5 hours of online material before live-streamed course, as online material is foundational to more advanced live content. Participants have a grace period of 3 months after the live-streamed course to complete online modules if expectation is not met due to unforeseen circumstances. Participants will not receive a Certificate of Completion with full AOTA CEUs until both the Online and Live-streamed components are completed.
Online Course Content:
5 hours of pre-recorded course content will be made available online through STAR Institute's Online Learning platform and is a required prerequisite for attending either the live-streamed portion of the program. This includes:
- Introduction: Background information on sensory processing from Dr. Lucy Jane Miller
- Frame of Reference: Even when the primary focus of intervention is sensory, the STAR Frame of Reference advocates for a continuous assessment of regulation, and relationships, in the context of mutable environments, social-emotional development, and attention.
- PROCESS for schools: Introduction to the STAR Treatment Model: The integration of basic principles of sensory integration intervention based on Ayres' original theory and advanced treatment using our clinical reasoning methodology.
- Research: An overview of SPD research from STAR Institute and the SPD Scientific Work Group as well as applicable research to school setting.
- Sensory Processing and Integration: Discuss the necessity of integrated sensory systems to development as well as create an understanding of SPD and the SPD subtypes.
- Regulation: Foundational to development, regulation will be defined and explored.
- Relationship: What therapist will do to facilitate, cultivate, strengthen strong, healthy therapist/child, child/teacher, therapist/teacher relationships to support desired outcomes.
Live-streamed Course Content:
- Differential Diagnoses of Subtypes: What do the different subtypes of SPD look like in the academic setting? What are the sensory principles of treatment for each?
- Assessment: How to review existing data, interview and observe, complete clinical evaluation, formulate a hypothesis, and synthesize and analyze.
- Write-ups: How to write a participation focused evaluation that connects what was seen in the evaluation to the concerns in the classroom.
- IEP Process: Use of Goal Attainment Scaling to develop goals, outline service delivery, define accommodations, and develop a data collection system to evaluate treatment effectiveness.
- A SECRET: Become skilled in the use of this problem-solving tool that helps explain the complexity of OT clinical reasoning to other providers.
- Treatment: How to develop a customized approach for specific sensory challenges that your student experiences. How to use advanced clinical reasoning to decide what level of service delivery is appropriate for your student, considering everything from a "consult as needed" model up through intensive short term pull out service delivery.
- Appreciative inquiry: Follow a process for facilitating positive change in your own environment.
Additional Program Learning Options:
- Online ONLY: $200
5 hours/0.5 AOTA CEUs
5 hours of recorded course content will be made available online through STAR's Online Learning platform. Completion of the Online content is a required prerequisite for attending the Live-streamed portion of the program.
- Live-streamed Course ONLY: $540
14 hours/1.4 AOTA CEUs
Registration for the Live-streamed course alone requires previous completion of the online content within the past year. Those with incomplete online coursework will not be permitted to attend the live-streamed portion of the program and will not receive a Certificate of Completion with full AOTA CEUs.
Please inquire with email@example.com if you are eligible for to complete the live-streamed course. Upon verifying eligibility, a promotional code will be provided to complete your registration.
Register for both the Online and Live-streamed Program Bundle for the best value!
Participants are required to complete all pre-requisite online course modules and attend each of the live-streamed sessions in real time to receive Certificate of Completion for the program. Participants may miss up to 1 half day (of 2-day course) or 1 session (of 4-session course; 3.5 hours) of the livestreamed course to be eligible for a Certificate of Completion and full CEUs. The course instructor(s) must be informed of any absences ahead of time. Emergencies or unplanned absences will be handled at discretion of the course instructor(s) and Director of Education.
Video recordings are typically available to all participants for up to 1 week after the recorded sessions, however this is not guaranteed due to potential technical issues. If video recordings are available, this may be reviewed in the case of a planned or unplanned absence. Additional assignments may be requested to verify competency.
Credentialing and Continuing Education
STAR Institute is an AOTA Approved Provider of continuing education. The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA.
Approximately 19 Professional Contact Hours (1.9 AOTA CEUs) are awarded for full completion of this program. Participants receive credential certificates documenting completion of the specialized training in SPD.
Individuals interested in achieving the STAR ProCert 1 credential are required to take Temple University's STAR Proficiency Level I course within 3 years of completing the full School-Based Intensive Course.