Online Content + 4-Day Zoom: $839
Presented via Zoom Video Conferencing
Sessions are available to review for 1 week after the course completion
April 20-23, 2021
Daily | 9:00 AM-1:00 PM MDT
May 18-21, 2021
Daily | 9:00 AM-1:00 PM MDT
October: 2, 9,16, 23, 2021
Weekly | 4:00 PM-8:00 PM EEST
(7:00 AM-11:00 AM MST)
November 16-19, 2021
Daily | 4:00 PM-8:00 PM MST
Online Content + 2-Day Zoom: $839
September 12-13, 2021
Daily | 8:30 AM-5:00 PM MDT
Online Content + 2-Day In-Person at STAR Institute: $989
August 6-7, 2021
Daily | 8:30 AM-5:00 PM MDT
at STAR Institute in Centennial, Colorado
Get Started with the Online Content Portion ONLY ($519):
STAR Proficiency Certification
Completion of a Level 1 Mentorship Program allows participants the option to obtain STAR Proficiency Certification Level 1.
This "hybrid" intensive training course supports the clinician to gain an advanced understanding of sensory processing and integration theory, the STAR Frame of Reference, evaluation, and various strategies of intervention. The clinician will learn to apply clinical reasoning through lectures, video treatment observation and analysis with experienced STAR Institute Faculty.
This version of the Level 1 Mentorship program includes the same core content as our traditional, onsite program.
Online + In-Person/Live-stream Full Program Bundle
25.5 hours/2.55 AOTA CEUs
Our foundational Level 1 Mentorship information is now available through STAR's Online Learning platform! Participants then attend the 2-day In-Person or a Live-streamed Course within 2 years to receive a Certificate of Completion and full CEUs.
Participants must complete Online course material before attending an In-Person/Live-streamed course, as online material is foundational to more advanced live content. Participants may not attend an In-Person or Live-streamed course without verifying completion of the online content and will not receive a Certificate of Completion with full AOTA CEUs.
Online Course Content:
11 hours of recorded course content will be made available through STAR's Online Learning platform and is a required prerequisite for attending the In-Person/Live-streamed portion of the program. This includes:
- Background information on sensory processing from Dr. Lucy Jane Miller
Frame of Reference:
- Even when the primary focus of intervention is sensory, the STAR Frame of Reference advocates for a continuous assessment of regulation, and relationships, in the context of mutable environments, social-emotional development, and attention
Subtypes of SPD:
- A complete introduction and overview of each of the Subtypes of SPD
- Sensory Modulation Disorder
- Sensory Discrimination Disorder
- Overview of standardized assessments: Understanding standards scoring systems and "growth scales" based on Rasch measurement
- Use of Goal Attainment Scaling and other standardized outcome measures that participants can use in their settings to evaluate treatment effectiveness
- An overview of SPD research from STAR Institute and the SPD Scientific Work Group
In-Person/Live-stream Course Content:
- Advanced clinical reasoning in comprehensive assessment emphasizing both top-down and bottom-up approaches
- Advanced clinical reasoning applied to clinical observations (using video analysis and case study)
- Differential diagnosis of sensory subtypes (using video analysis and case study)
- Development of Impact Statements reflecting functional impacts of SPD
- Introduction and application of STAR Institute's PROCESS treatment model
- Development of Goal Attainment Scale using family-centric goals
- Introduction to Family-Centered Interview process techniques for goal development
- Clinical reasoning applied to treatment planning and development of clinical questions
- Introduction, application and development of A SECRET tool for clinical use (using case-study)
"Hybrid" Level 1 Mentorship Online + Live-stream Bundle: $839
"Hybrid" Level 1 Mentorship Online + In-Person Bundle: $989
This includes both the online and live-streamed/in-person sections.
Complete your application online and attach a copy of your current curriculum vitae or resume. Participant selection will be based on priority of applications received and previous work/educational experience. If you are not selected to participate in the mentorship program at this time, your tuition will be refunded to you in full.
Participants are required to complete all pre-requisite online course modules and attend each of the live-streamed or in-person sessions in real time to receive Certificate of Completion for the program. A brief CEU quiz must be completed and passed with at least 80% accuracy for each section to verify competency. Participants may miss 1 session during the livestreamed course to be eligible for a certificate of completion and CEUs. The course instructor(s) must be informed of any absences ahead of time. Emergencies or unplanned absences will be handled at discretion of the course instructor(s) and Director of Education.
Video recordings are typically available to all participants for up to 1 week after the recorded sessions, however this is not guaranteed due to potential technical issues. If video recordings are available, this may be reviewed in the case of a planned or unplanned absence. A brief CEU quiz must also be completed and potential additional assignments may be requested to verify competency.
STAR Institute Credentials
STAR Institute awards competency credentials to participants who demonstrate proficiency at each individual course level. Participants receive credential certificates documenting completion of the specialized training in SPD.
All participants receive an Advanced Mentored Clinician Level 1 credential upon completion. Individuals interested in achieving the STAR ProCert 1 credential are required to take Temple University's STAR Proficiency Level I course within 3 years of completing the Level 1 Mentorship program.
STAR Institute is an AOTA Approved Provider of continuing education. The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA.
Approximately 25.5 Professional Contact Hours (2.55 AOTA CEUs) are awarded for full completion of this program. Participants receive credential certificates documenting completion of the specialized training in SPD.
Additional Program Learning Options:
- Online Content Portion ONLY: $519
11 hours/1.1 AOTA CEUs
Click here to register for the online content alone through STAR's Online Learning platform.
- In-Person/Live-streamed Course Portion ONLY: $559
14.5 hours/1.45 AOTA CEUs
Registration for the 2-Day In-Person or a Live-streamed course alone requires previous completion of the online content within the past 2 years. Those with incomplete online coursework will not be permitted to attend the In-Person/Live-streamed portion of the program and will not receive a Certificate of Completion with full AOTA CEUs.